AUS: Foster's losing beer market share - figures
Foster's struggles as Lion Nathan roars
Foster's has continued to lose beer market share in Australia during the three months to the end of April, according to AC Nielsen figures.
The company's leading Victoria Bitter brand fell to 15% of the market by value in April, from 17% a year earlier.
However, Carlton Draught rose from 13% to 14% market share and Corona, which Foster's distributes in Australia, also grew by one percentage point to 5%.
The low-carb Pure Blonde continued to decline, with sales down 14% by value in April compared to 12 months earlier.
Overall beer sales by volume were down by 3%, the second straight month of decline, although prices were up by 4%.
Foster's total share of the beer market was 50%, down from 55% in 2005.
Lion Nathan, which accounts for 40% market share, saw its Toohey's New brand decline to 13% in April compared to 14% a year earlier, while its XXXX brand grew from 11 to 12%.
Speculation has grown on possible bids for Foster's beer business after the group announced last week it would demerge its beer and wine arms.
M&A activity within the beer sector this year has been limited to just the one big transaction, in Mexico. Larry Nelson believes, however, that 2010 could have served as the calm before the storm, wit...
Foster's Group has said it intends to contest income tax assessments it has received from the Australian Commissioner of Taxation....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future