AUS: Foster's losing beer market share - figures
Foster's struggles as Lion Nathan roars
Foster's has continued to lose beer market share in Australia during the three months to the end of April, according to AC Nielsen figures.
The company's leading Victoria Bitter brand fell to 15% of the market by value in April, from 17% a year earlier.
However, Carlton Draught rose from 13% to 14% market share and Corona, which Foster's distributes in Australia, also grew by one percentage point to 5%.
The low-carb Pure Blonde continued to decline, with sales down 14% by value in April compared to 12 months earlier.
Overall beer sales by volume were down by 3%, the second straight month of decline, although prices were up by 4%.
Foster's total share of the beer market was 50%, down from 55% in 2005.
Lion Nathan, which accounts for 40% market share, saw its Toohey's New brand decline to 13% in April compared to 14% a year earlier, while its XXXX brand grew from 11 to 12%.
Speculation has grown on possible bids for Foster's beer business after the group announced last week it would demerge its beer and wine arms.
M&A activity within the beer sector this year has been limited to just the one big transaction, in Mexico. Larry Nelson believes, however, that 2010 could have served as the calm before the storm, wit...
Foster's Group has said it intends to contest income tax assessments it has received from the Australian Commissioner of Taxation....
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- This week in spirits & wine
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts