AUS: Foster’s looks at portfolio cull – report
Foster's is mulling reducing its product offering by up to 20%, according to local reports.
The Australian company hopes the move will rejuvenate the business and ward off the risk of a takeover bid, the Australian Financial Review said today (11 October). The paper cited Foster's managing director for Australia, Asia and Pacific, Jamie Odell in the report.
"I would be disappointed if we didn't get it down by at least 10%," Odell told the paper, adding that a move towards 20% would be even better. "I do hold to the view of fewer, bigger, better."
Odell added that a review of the business should be finished in time for Christmas, with Foster's burgeoning wine portfolio expected to bear the brunt of the cuts. Following the company's purchase of Southcorp last year, Foster's now has a portfolio of around 50 brands.
Earlier this year, Foster's offloaded its brewing assets in India to SABMiller and sold its beer concerns in Vietnam to Asia Pacific Breweries.
Chinese conglomerate China Resources Enterprise (CRE), SABMiller's ally in the country, has credited a "major leap" in its brewing business for its earnings and sales growth in 2006....
V&S Group is set to beef up its distribution network in the Nordic region with the acquisition of Norwegian wine and spirits distributor Amundsen....
SABMiller has defended its decision not to pursue acquisitions in Russia after announcing that it is to build its second brewery in the country. The London-listed brewing giant said today (29 March) t...
SABMiller is to build its second brewery in Russia as it looks to capitalise on growing sales in the country....
SABMiller has displayed no let up in the battle to wrest back its share of South Africa's premium beer category with the launch of an upmarket brand....
SABMiller has unveiled its first steps to wrest back share in South Africa's buoyant premium beer segment with the launch of Peroni Nastro Azzurro on draught....
Asia Pacific Breweries (APB) has said it is "too premature" to say how the integration of certain Vietnamese brewing assets will affect local jobs in the country....
Analysts have poured cold water on the prospect of brewing giant SABMiller making a move for Magners cider owner C&C Group....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018