AUS: Foster's looking to sell Asian brewing ops
Foster's Group is looking to sell its brewing assets in four key markets - with SABMiller one of a number of potential suitors for the operations, just-drinks understands.
Foster's Brewing International, the company's overseas beer arm, has put its businesses in China, India, Vietnam and Fiji on the block.
SABMiller has declared its interest in acquiring Foster's assets in these markets, just-drinks understands, but is not the only global brewer in the running. The sale process is understood to still be at an early stage with a conclusion still some way off.
SABMiller is understood to be attracted to Foster's operations in India, where it has been present since 1998 with a brewery in Maharashtra. The Foster's brand has also been the only international beer brand to achieve notable growth in India, with sales up 20% last year.
Foster's has a minor foothold in China but enjoys a significant presence in Vietnam, which has become the world's second fastest-growing beer market and where brewers Carlsberg, SABMiller and Anheuser-Busch have entered over the last two years.
SABMiller refused to comment on whether it was interested in bidding for Foster's Asian brewing assets. Scottish & Newcastle, which holds the European licence to the Foster's brand and has a 37.5% stake in India's largest brewer United Breweries, also declined to comment.
A Foster's spokesman said it was policy not to comment on market speculation, before adding: "All the Asian and Pacific breweries are performing strongly and Foster's is one of the fastest growing premium beer brands in these markets. We are commited to Asia as a major growth market for Foster's lager."
Lacking the capital to expand as it would like, Foster’s Group seems set to sell its Asian brewing operations and seek partners to brew the Foster's brand under licence....
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Foster’s Group is looking to sell its brewing assets in four key markets – with SABMiller one of a number of potential suitors for the operations, just-drinks understands....
In spite of trying to buy up Southcorp, Foster's could itself be a takeover target in the near future, according to press reports....
Carlsberg Sverige is looking to introduce a lemon-flavoured beer to the Swedish market....
Equity analyst Legg Mason has downgraded its rating of the US brewer Anheuser-Busch from "hold" to "sell" after the company issued a statement saying it expected sales below previous estimates....
Following its recent re-launch in the UK, SABMiller has introduced its Italian lager brand Peroni Nastro Azzurro to the Romanian market....
The US brewer Anheuser-Busch Cos has reported first quarter 2005 domestic beer volumes below previous expectations....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- SABMiller, Meantime Brewing say goodbye to 'craft'
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report