AUS: Foster’s, Lion Nathan to drop alcoholic energy RTDs
The Australian companies said that the move was a response to "community concern" and Foster's added that it plans to "voluntarily cease manufacturing and marketing alcohol beverages containing 'energy' additives such as caffeine and taurine".
Foster's said: "In addition, the company has formally committed to a voluntary limit of two standard drinks (20 grams of alcohol) per single-serve container and 7% ABV across its RTD product portfolio".
Mirroring this, Lion Nathan also plans to take "immediate steps to cease production of energy RTDs and will also set a voluntary limit of two standard drinks per single serve RTD container".
Foster's Australia, Asia & Pacific managing director Jamie Odell said: "We believe strongly that the real issue is not bad products, but rather poor drinking behaviour. However, we also acknowledge community concern that higher alcohol and added-energy RTDs may be particularly vulnerable to abuse."
Lion Nathan Australia managing director Andrew Reeves added: "We have been in discussions internally, as an industry and with government on a range of proactive measures to tackle misuse. This represents one step in a holistic programme to encourage a responsible and sustainable drinking culture."
Amidst the doom and despond of the economic downturn, Diageo demonstrated its power and resilience by turning in full-year sales and profit growth. In the first of a special, two-part just-drinks inte...
Vodka is soon to take over from Scotch whisky as the most consumed spirit in the UK. But Chris Losh sees its success as a triumph of marketing over substance, and wonders whether consumer interest can...
SABMiller is re-organising parts of its business in India, as it prepares to launch a new beer in the country....
Sales of Foster's wines in US grocery stores fell by 1% last month, amid an overall decline of 3% in Australian wine sold in the US market....
Beringer Vineyards has readied a promotional campaign for its Stone Cellars wine range in the UK, pushing the brand as "wine for foodies"....
Diageo has warned that it expects this year's tax hike on RTDs in Australia to hold back profits going forward....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Australian drinks giant Foster's has blamed a disappointing performance from its wine division for a drop in full-year profit and sales....
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Craft more about stories than M&A for Diageo
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review