AUS: Foster's launches new ciders
Foster's is looking to tap higher growth in Australia's cider market, with two new product launches.
Mercury Artisan is pitched as a craft cider made with Tasmanian apples rather than the standard juice concentrate, while Strongbow Spark, available in red and green apple varieties, contains 10% fresh apple juice, added after the brewing process in order to sweeten the palate.
"Cider is very similar to wine in that you can get very different flavour profiles from it, from sweeter styles to quite crafty-flavoured products," said Nick Mann, Foster's general manager for cider and spirits.
Foster's has a 90% share of Australia's cider market, including domestic licences for Strongbow and Bulmer's brands and the wholly-owned Mercury label.
Cider sales rose 12.1% by value over the 12 months to the end of August, compared to 4.7 per cent for the whole of the alcohol market, according to market research firm ACNielsen.
Concerns over health and drink-driving are fostering growth in the low- and non-alcohol beer categories. Spiros Malandrakis, drinks analyst at Euromonitor International, assesses the progress and pote...
The growing problem of spirits counterfeiting not only results in loss of revenue for spirits companies but more alarmingly continues to cost lives. Keith Nuttall and Emma Jackson report on attempts b...
The Scotch Whisky Association has hailed new progress in its battle to force Indian states to reduce import tax on spirits, but the body has rejected claims that the issue is settled....
UK vodka sales will rise to GBP2bn (US$2.92bn) by 2013, but the pace of growth is set to slow, according to the latest research from Mintel....
SABMiller subsidiary Southern Sudan Beverages has begun brewing White Bull Lager, the first beer to be produced in Sudan for more than 25 years....
Foster's is to increase its share in Foster's Group Pacific Ltd, after signing a deal to buy a 29% stake in the company currently held by Fijian Holdings Ltd for FJD$40m (US$18.2m)....
The European, Middle Eastern and African division of Foster's Group has signed up the Courtauld Commitment, an environmental initiative organised by the Waste & Resources Action Programme (WRAP) in th...
Central European Distribution Corporation has signed a deal with private equity group Lion Capital that will see it take full control of vodka producer Russian Alcohol within five years....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts