AUS: Foster's Group the hero when it comes to Zero
Foster's Group has claimed victory in a dispute over the Zero trademark in Australia.
The company confirmed today (10 September) that it has reached an agreement with Jim Beam Brands Australia and Coca-Cola Amatil in the country, over the use of the word zero for alcoholic beverages.
The three companies had been holding talks over the trademark, with Foster's now being granted exclusive rights for the term in respect of alcoholic drinks. The dispute arose due to CCA's imminent launch of a Jim Beam and Cola Zero RTD in Australia.
While CCA has successfully marketed the low-calorie Coke Zero in Australia since early 2006, Foster's trademarked zero for alcoholic beverages as early as 1994 when it launched Subzero alcoholic soda, which is no longer on the market.
It is understood the Jim Beam product will still feature the word zero as part of its packaging, but not within its actual brand name.
When contacted by just-drinks today, a spokesperson declined to add further detail about how the talks had progressed. "We've agreed not to comment further than the joint press announcement," the spokesperson said.
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Foster's Group has confirmed that it has stopped exporting some of its wines to some markets due to allocations being targeted at specific regions that are more profitable....
Foster's Group has posted a comparative lift in first half net profit, as a "slower US wine market" held sales flat for the period....
Foster's Group has launched two new wines in Australia with reduced calories and alcohol....
Australian winery Wynns Coonawarra Estate has signed a distribution deal with Matthew Clark and its sister company Wine Studio for on-trade distribution in the UK....
Foster's has announced four appointments as part of its management restructuring within its US arm....
Foster's and Lion Nathan have each launched citrus-infused beers in Australia following the entry of SABMiller's Miller Chill on the country's beer market....
Languedoc wine producer Bonfils has acquired the James Herrick brand and vineyards from Foster's Group....
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- The future for drinks industry's waste products
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- "We tried to make Bushmills hot" - Diageo CEO
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends