FRANCE: Foster’s Group sells Languedoc vineyard to Bonfils
Languedoc wine producer Bonfils has acquired the James Herrick brand and vineyards from Foster's Group.
The French company confirmed the purchase, for an undisclosed sum, yesterday (4 February).
With the purchase, Bonfils gains 180 hectares of Chardonnay vineyards and the production facilities at Domaine de la Motte, near Narbonne. The company said it intends to consolidate vinification operations at the site "in due course".
"This is a very exciting time for us and we are really pleased to be taking on such a classic brand," said company chairman Laurent Bonfils. "With the world demand for Chardonnay still on the increase, there is a fantastic opportunity to bring the brand to a new audience."
The James Herrick brand has grown to reach sales of 120,000 cases globally, with the UK remaining a key development market. Bonfils, meanwhile, export over half of its annual production of 1.3m-cases to markets including Europe, the US, Asia and Russia.
The family-run Bonfils Group now controls over 1,050 hectares across 13 domaines in the Languedoc and one in the Bordeaux region. It also owns the Languedoc wine trading company Maurel Vedeau and organic wine producer Monfreux de Fages, based in the Herault region.
Trevor O'Hoy tended his resignation as chief executive officer of Fosters last week (10 June) after 33 years tenure with the company. His resignation, although sudden, comes amid a period of trying ti...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
The CEO of Foster's Group is set to leave the Australian company today (21 July)....
This week InBev and Anheuser continue to keep the pages ticking over on just-drinks. Amongst the other stories at the top of the most read pages were reports on C&C, an interview with Carlsberg's CEO ...
Coca-Cola Amail has distanced itself from speculation linking it to a bid for Foster's Group, according to local reports....
Foster's Group has brought in a senior executive from the National Australia Bank to join its board....
Foster's Wine Estates has appointed Matthew Parish to the position of vice president of premium winemaking in the US....
Russian Standard Vodka has appointed Dmitry Shirshov to the position of vice president of marketing and sales....
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- The new Johnnie Walker ad and today's consumers
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- Moet Hennessy hails Formula One deal for Chandon
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research