AUS: Foster's Group rejects SABMiller bid
Foster's said today (21 June) that it has rebuffed SABMiller's conditional, non-binding takeover bid, which values the newly-demerged Australian beer group at AUD4.9 per share in cash. The total offer value is AUD11.2bn including around AUD1.8bn of Foster's debt.
"The board of Foster's believes that the proposal significantly undervalues the company in the context of a change of control and, as such, it does not intend to take any further action in relation to it," said Foster's.
Still, it is the first time that anyone has gone public with an offer for Foster's, which demerged its beer and wine businesses last month and is Australia's largest brewer thanks to its Carlton & United Breweries business.
SABMiller's bid could flush out other potential bidders by forcing them to make a move.
The CEO of SABMiller, Graham Mackay, said today: "We continue to believe that the proposal price is attractive and offers good value to Foster’s shareholders. SABMiller can conclude a transaction quickly and will continue to seek engagement with the Board of Foster’s to put an agreed proposal to Foster’s shareholders.”
SABMiller's AUD11.2bn bid was sent to Foster's yesterday, it said. The offer values Foster's at 12.5 times forecast EBITDA, which is considered by many analysts to be the going rate for brewing industry acquisitions.
The UK-listed group added that its offer represents an 14.5% premium on Fosters' closing price on 2 June. It would finance the deal using existing resources and debt.
The Peroni Nastro Azzurro brewer already operates a beer joint-venture in Australia with Coca-Cola Amatil. However, SABMiller said that plans are in place for it to acquire this venture outright, should it succeed in agreeing a deal with Foster's.
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future