INDIA/AUS: Foster's Group facing tax charge
Foster's Group, SABMiller embroiled in Indian tax dispute
Foster's said today (6 April) that it will defend itself vigorously against the charge, which is part of monies claimed by India's income tax authorities.
In 2006, Foster's sold the Indian licence on its namesake lager to SABMiller for US$120m. While Indian tax authorities have been pursuing both brewers for several years since, this is the first time that Foster's has put a figure on the possible charge.
A spokesperson for SABMiller said told just-drinks: "SABMiller can confirm that the notice of demand issued to SABMiller by the Director of Income Tax in India for unpaid tax and interest, amounting to approximately US$40m, is subject to an indemnity granted by Foster's to SABMiller in connection with the acquisition of Foster's' Indian operations in 2006."
Both Foster's and SABMiller have argued that there is no tax obligation, because the deal was settled outside of India, beyond the tax authorities' jurisdiction. SABMiller said that it is continuing to work with Foster's to defend against any tax charge.
"Foster's is confident of the positions that were taken in relation to Indian tax," said Foster's today.
The penultimate part of this month's management briefing considers the emerging markets, and the position they will take in the future of our industry....
The arrival of an agreement between Foster's Group and SABMiller over the latter's bid for the former earlier today has come about - in part - following an improved bid by SAB, as one would expect. Ho...
The global wine industry remains highly fragmented. In a recent Euromonitor International global briefing, entitled 'How Wine Companies Can Become Global', Jeremy Cunnington looked at why, and whether...
StarBev is working to launch its Staropramen lager in 15 new markets, the brewer's CEO has told just-drinks....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research