AUSTRALIA: Foster's and Lion Nathan in court battle over Olympic sponsorship
Carlton United Breweries (CUB), a subsidiary of Foster's Brewing, and Lion Nathan are to appear in court today, after Foster's Brewing launched legal action against its Australian rival in a dispute over Olympic sponsorship.Foster's the official beer supplier for the Olympic games is claiming that Lion Nathan is illegally using the Olympics to market its biggest selling beer, Tooheys New.The complications have arisen because Lion Nathan is the official beer supplier to Stadium Australia, the main location for the Olympics. However, the agreement does not apply to the Olympic or the Paralympic Games.A Lion Nathan promotion says Tooheys is the "Beer choice for Stadium Australia", and the packaging features a picture of Stadium Australia.CUB, vice-president of Olympics Alan Kemp told the Australian press yesterday that the company was suing Lion Nathan under the misrepresentation provisions of the Trade Practices Act.He continued that the advertisement on the Tooheys cartons suggested the beer was available to the public at the Stadium during the Olympics.However, Lion Nathan told just-drinks.com that it would defend the matter as it had done nothing to contravene the Trade Practices Act.It has said that the company has no intention of promoting itself as the official beer of the Stadium Australia during the Olympics.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - Scotch's Battle with Age
- Focus - The Risks of Acquisitions
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Pernod Ricard to up focus on consumers - CEO
- Diageo creates USL unit to oversee own brands
- Roust takes on Bushmills distribution in Russia
- Brown-Forman completes Kentucky acquisition
- Diageo to close Maryland bottling site
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review