US: Fortune Brands spirits sales flat in Q3
Ongoing decline in Fortune Brands' golf and housing businesses saw group net sales for the three months to the end of September slip by 11% to US$1.72bn, compared to the same period a year earlier, the firm said today (23 October).
However, Beam Global Spirits & Wine, reported sales slightly ahead of the previous year, at US$636.9m from $636.3m.
"Spirits sales were flat in the quarter, benefiting from higher sales of Jim Beam bourbon and Canadian Club whisky, the Cruzan acquisition, and strong growth in emerging markets, offset by soft results in other international markets," said Fortune Brands CEO and chairman Bruce Carbonari.
Spirits sales dropped by 2% for the first nine months of the year, to $1.72bn, as a recovery in the third quarter failed to fully offset declines in the first six months of 2009.
Fortune's third quarter net profits plunged 63% to $125m, partly as a result of a one-off gain in the same period of last year, as well as restructuring costs. Operating profits fell by 20% in the quarter, to $204.5m, but by only 2% for the nine months, to $458m.
Fortune predicted full-year earnings per share are likely to be between US$2.1 and $2.3, against a previous range of $2 to $2.3, thanks to stabilisation in the US house-building market.
For the full announcement, click here.
An update, following the company's conference call, appears here.
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has confirmed an internal promotion and a further appointment to its US Category Business Teams....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has signed a deal for Jim Beam Bourbon to sponsor an ESPN web series hosted by the sports journalist Scoop Jackson....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018