US: Fortune Brands facing break-up - report
- Activist shareholder said to be pushing for break-up
- In talks with company
- Diageo, Bacardi, Pernod Ricard wait in the wings
Diageo, Bacardi, Pernod Ricard may swoop for Beam Global Spirits & Wine drinks
The owner of Beam Global Spirits & Wine, Fortune Brands, is facing pressure from an activist shareholder to split and sell its drinks, golf and home businesses, according to a report.
Shareholder Bill Ackman, who has acquired an 11% stake in Fortune Brands, is pushing the group's management for a break-up, according to a report in the New York Post published late last week. The paper cited sources close to the talks as saying that Fortune has so far resisted pressure from Ackman, whose Pershing Square Capital Management acquired its 11% stake in Fortune in early October.
Analysts have previously questioned Fortune's ability to juggle drinks, golf and home business divisions.
It is thought that several drinks companies would be interested in plundering Fortune's Beam Global division, which includes Maker's Mark and Jim Beam Bourbons, Sauza Tequila, Courvoisier Cognac and Laphroaig Scotch whisky.
Diageo, Bacardi and Pernod Ricard have all been cited as potential suitors for some of the brands. It is thought that competition regulations would prevent one multinational drinks group from acquiring the entire Beam Global portfolio.
"We believe Diageo may either try to cherry pick brands in any break-up, eg Jim Beam and Maker's Mark, or seek to acquire the business in combination with another player (eg private equity/Bacardi/Pernod Ricard) and then split the assets," said analyst group Evolution Securities in a note today (15 November).
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts