CANADA: Former Peller employee charged over 11-year fraud
A former employee at Canadian wine group Andrew Peller has been charged with siphoning off C$7.4m (US$6.3m) of the company's money into her own accounts over 11 years.
Police in the Niagara region of Ontario have charged Christine Marie Papakriakou, 50, with offences of fraud over C$5,000 money laundering, and possession of the proceeds of the crime.
Papakriakou left Andrew Peller, formerly known as Andres Wines, in 2005 but the company did not realise any money was missing until an internal audit the following year.
A spokesman for Andrew Peller told just-drinks today (8 January) that the company has filed a lawsuit to recover part of the stolen money but said the company expected any money regained to be "significantly lower than the C$7.4m".
Andrew Peller produces wines including Croc Crossing, a blend of Australian and Canadian varietal grapes, and French Cross.
Canadian wine group Andrew Peller has seen quarterly sales and earnings rise thanks to first-time contributions from new products....
Canadian wine group Andrew Peller has posted a 10% rise in sales during its first half of the year....
Canadian icewine brand Peller Estates has appointed Peter Ayling Associates as its distributor for the European and Middle Eastern duty-free and travel-retail markets....
Investors in Canadian wine producer Andres Wines have approved on a change to the company's share structure....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- English Gin Breaks Away From its Core Markets
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Wine in the United Kingdom