INDIA: Former Diageo CEO joins United Spirits' board
Paul Walsh joins the group's board today
In a filing to the Bombay Stock Exchange, the Indian company, now controlled by Diageo, said that Paul Walsh joins its board as an “additional” director with effect from today (19 August). A Diageo spokesperson confirmed that the role would be in a non-executive capacity.
Vikram Mehta, the former chairman of Shell India, has also been appointed as an “independent” director of United Spirits, the company said.
Diageo became the biggest shareholder in United Spirits last month when it completed a share purchase agreement with UB Group.
Walsh, who stepped down as Diageo CEO in June, is remaining as an adviser to the UK-based firm's new boss, Ivan Menezes, for a year. Walsh will join catering firm Compass as non-exec chairman from February.
Aside from his United Spirits role, Walsh will remain involved with Diageo in a GBP80,000 per year role promoting its Scotch whisky interests, it was revealed last week. He is a council member of the Scotch Whisky Association, having previously been chairman of the trade body.
Following a flurry of activity in the Tequila sector last month, has Diageo finally returned to the point it had previously reached when it handled Jose Cuervo? Richard Woodard compares then to now....
The flavoured vodka category has been a growth engine of the spirits sector for some time, but new research from just-drinks suggests that the sub-category no longer represents the easy route to growt...
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends