INDIA: Former Diageo CEO joins United Spirits' board
Paul Walsh joins the group's board today
In a filing to the Bombay Stock Exchange, the Indian company, now controlled by Diageo, said that Paul Walsh joins its board as an “additional” director with effect from today (19 August). A Diageo spokesperson confirmed that the role would be in a non-executive capacity.
Vikram Mehta, the former chairman of Shell India, has also been appointed as an “independent” director of United Spirits, the company said.
Diageo became the biggest shareholder in United Spirits last month when it completed a share purchase agreement with UB Group.
Walsh, who stepped down as Diageo CEO in June, is remaining as an adviser to the UK-based firm's new boss, Ivan Menezes, for a year. Walsh will join catering firm Compass as non-exec chairman from February.
Aside from his United Spirits role, Walsh will remain involved with Diageo in a GBP80,000 per year role promoting its Scotch whisky interests, it was revealed last week. He is a council member of the Scotch Whisky Association, having previously been chairman of the trade body.
Following a flurry of activity in the Tequila sector last month, has Diageo finally returned to the point it had previously reached when it handled Jose Cuervo? Richard Woodard compares then to now....
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
India’s largest spirits producer, UB Group’s United Spirits, came under the control of global leader, Diageo, in 2013. The profile analyses the most promising ways forward for United Spirits’ strong d...
The flavoured vodka category has been a growth engine of the spirits sector for some time, but new research from just-drinks suggests that the sub-category no longer represents the easy route to growt...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Analysis - SABMiller's LatAm aim? Drink more beer
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Pernod Ricard appoints Absolut Vodka VP
- Beam Suntory to re-package Courvoisier Cognac
- Edrington posts FY profits drop
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beer, 2014 and the future