US: Former Coke employee readies for fraud trial
The case of a former Coca-Cola employee accused of trying to sell company secrets to PepsiCo is heating up ahead of the impending trial.
The lawyer for the accused, Joya Williams, has asked a federal judge to allow her to question a number of Coca-Cola Company employees.
The lawyer, Janice Singer, said the Coke legal team had blocked her from contacting Coke employees.
Coca-Cola says direct contact with the employees is inappropriate. It has asked Singer to instead file her questions in writing to the company's lawyer, who would provide responses.
Singer claims that direct interviews are essential to the defence case. She wants to speak to at least five current Coca-Cola employees.
Prosecutors in the US have charged three people - Williams and two friends - with fraud along with stealing and selling trade secrets, which included a sample of a new drink.
Coke learned of the theft and the attempted sale of the "very detailed and confidential information" from Pepsi, which was approached in May by an individual claiming to be a high-level Coke employee.
Pepsi received a letter from the individual, who called himself "Dirk", and passed it on to Coke, which immediately contacted the FBI.
Coca-Cola and PepsiCo have been the fiercest of competitors for decades but the fact that their rivalry now extends to 'outgreening' one another could be good news for the environment, writes Annette ...
Coca-Cola's US$4.1bn acquisition of Glacéau gives the company a presence in the growing enhanced waters sector where, writes Annette Farr, the soft drinks giant will be competing not only with smaller...
The Coca-Cola Co.'s Mexican unit has been hit by a fine for monopoly practices in the country....
The Coca-Cola Co. has joined PepsiCo in stepping away from conducting experiments on animals, according to reports....
Coca-Cola Icecek has posted a strong lift in sales for its first quarter....
Coca-Cola GB has not been drawn on reports that it is in talks with Highland Spring, despite recent press speculation....
Coca-Cola FEMSA and The Coca-Cola Company have seen their plans to buy Mexican fruit juice company Jugos del Valle hit the buffers....
Coca-Cola North America has reintroduced Vanilla Coke to its 'sparkling beverage' line-up....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends