CHINA: Former Coca-Cola Co workers arrested for fraud
Chinese police have arrested two ex-employees of Coca-Cola Co's Shanghai bottling group, over allegations that they embezzled money from the firm and took bribes from suppliers.
A Coca-Cola Co spokesperson confirmed to just-drinks today (15 September) that two ex-workers of Shanghai Shenmei Coca-Cola bottling have been detained by police.
Both arrests were a result of "allegations that the former employees extracted kick-backs from suppliers and embezzled from the bottler", said the spokesperson.
Neither person is suspected of bribing Government officials.
"Shanghai Shenmei Coca-Cola bottling is actively cooperating with the police investigation in strict compliance with relevant laws and regulations," said the company.
It remained unclear how much money the pair may have accumulated, although China's official Xinhua news agency reported that the two amassed nearly US$1.5m.
Jones Soda shares dropped 40% in morning trading today (9 March) on the news that Reed's is to acquire the fellow US-based soft drinks group in a share and cash merger deal....
The challenging economic environment combined with Jones Soda's current capitalisation has made it extremely difficult for the firm to continue to operate on a standalone basis. Michelle Russell looks...
Investment bank UBS has upgraded Dr Pepper Snapple Group (DPSG) to buy from neutral, saying that it doesn't believe the market is fully valuing strong fundamentals for the business....
Mexican soft drinks company Fomento Económico Mexicano (FEMSA) has declined to comment on reports that it is eyeing the purchase of Coca-Cola bottling plants in Canada....
- Comment - Another One Bites Bacardi's Dust
- The End of the Road for International Beer Brands?
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q4 & FY
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Pernod bemoans tough FY as sales, profits drop
- Bacardi announces CFO switch
- SABMiller exec to become CFO at Beam Suntory
- Brown-Forman unveils Jack Daniel's UK push