US: Former Coca-Cola Co president to quit board
Keough joined Coca-Cola in 1960
The Coca-Cola Co's former president & COO Donald Keough is to retire from the company's board at the age of 86.
Keough, who served as president & COO from 1981 to 1993, will not stand for re-election at Coca-Cola's annual shareholders meeting in April, the company said yesterday (21 February). Former Coca-Cola director James Williams, 79, will also retire from the board at the meeting, Coca-Cola said.
Keough joined Coca-Cola in 1960 when it acquired the company he worked for, Butter-Nut Coffee. During his tenure, Keough helped steer Coca-Cola through the “cola wars” of the 1980s, when soft drinks companies increased marketing spend in a fight for market share. Keough also served as head of The Coca-Cola Foods Division from 1971 to 1973.
Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent said: “Many of our current Coca-Cola leaders learned this business under Don, and I have personally benefited from his guidance, mentorship and friendship for more than 30 years.”
Earlier this month, Coca-Cola posted a strong set of full-year results despite continuing problems in Europe.
Coca-Cola Co's chief executive Muhtar Kent has argued that the group's second quarter performance is an "anomaly" caused by a combination of uncontrollable factors and not a "systemic" issue. ...
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015