SPAIN: Font Vella - “We will not withdraw product”
Font Vella will not withdraw its eponymous brand from the market following accusations from consumer lobby Facua that its packaging deceives consumers about the product's quality.
"We will not withdraw our product," an official with the Spanish bottled-water company told just-drinks. "Facua's interpretation of (Spanish food) law is different from ours and we are not doing anything illegal." He would not comment further.
In a statement, Facua ordered Font Vella, owned by French food major Danone, to withdraw the product from Spanish shelves before 1 July. Font Vella has engaged in false advertising, it argued, by claiming its water comes from the Font Vella spring in Girona, Spain, when it actually stems from the Siguenza spring in the town of Guadalajara.
Spanish food-safety regulator AESA says water brands cannot use a spring to inspire their brand name if the product is not sourced there. Citing an AESA water-market decree, Facua said Font Vella must recall the product by the deadline given
AESA could not immediately be reached for comment.
The Font Vella official, who asked for anonymity, said the regulator "has not ordered us to do anything."
The water from the Siguenza spring is substandard to Font Vella, according to Facua.
Coca-Cola announced last week that it was taking over full control of its US water joint venture, CCDA Waters, buying out its partner, Danone. However, speculation over the poor performance of the CCD...
PepsiCo has denied press reports that it is looking to acquire Groupe Danone....
In a tough market for the home and office delivery segment of the US water market, Danone may have to cut the value of its subsidiary DS Waters, the UK's Financial Times reported today....
Groupe Danone is pulling out of the brewing industry....
Danone has completed another share buyback transaction....
Danone and Yakult have announced a joint venture to sell probiotic products in India. The move marks the first entrance by either company into the Indian market, in which they are aiming to become lea...
Danone has announced plans for a joint venture in India with Japan's Yakult Honsha Co. ...
France's Groupe Danone said on Friday that it had finally reached an agreement with The Coca-Cola Company to amend their existing deal regarding the distribution of retail bottled water products in No...
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends