NEW ZEALAND: Foley Family Wines buys Lighthouse gin brand
Foley Family Wines (FFW) has acquired New Zealand gin brand Lighthouse from Greytown Fine Distillates (GFD) for an undisclosed sum.
In a filing to the New Zealand Stock Exchange yesterday (11 June), California-headquartered FFW said it has “recently” bought 100% of the brand's intellectual property, including its exclusive worldwide marketing and distribution rights. Lighthouse Gin is a “copper batch gin distilled using New Zealand ingredients in the dry London style”, the filing said.
FFW, owned by US businessman Bill Foley, has agreed for GFD to distill the brand under licence, with founding distiller Neil Catherall remaining involved as a consultant. The wine group has already entered into a new distribution agreement in New Zealand with EuroVintage. In the US, it intends to distribute the brand through Epic National.
Mark Turnbull, FFW's CEO, said: "We are delighted to have Lighthouse join. It's a quality product that nicely complements our quality New Zealand wine portfolio.”
Meanwhile, Foley said its completed grape harvest this year in New Zealand is up 19.4% year-on-year with 6,807 tonnes crushed. “The volume crushed this year has resulted in all wineries being at full capacity, which will continue to have a positive influence on margin improvement,” the company said.
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends