US: Flying Dog launches barrel-aged beer
Denver craft brewer Flying Dog Brewery has added to its range of specialty beers with the launch of the Whiskey Barrel-Aged Gonzo Imperial Porter.
The product is the latest in the brewer's "Wild Dog" series of high-gravity experimental beers. It will be available from April and will be packaged in 750ml Champagne bottles.
Once brewed, the beer is transferred to charred White American Oak whiskey barrels from the neighbouring Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey distillery, which had aged whiskey in them for two years. After ageing in the wood barrels for three months, the Imperial Porter is hand-bottled, corked, labelled and conditioned for another six weeks before being shipped.
According to Flying Dog's head brewer Matt Brophy, the taste is reminiscent of sweet chocolate, dry oak and smooth whiskey. "The barrel's distinctive characteristics will complement the Imperial Porter's already robust, full-bodied flavour," Brophy added.
The beer is a limited edition with just 5,000 bottles being produced.
Sectors: Beer & cider
French wines with a catchy name and something of the New World about them are not a new phenomenon but, writes Chris Losh, there's something about such brands that doesn't quite ring true. What is req...
Heaven Hill Distilleries has launched four gift sets to push its leading brands in the US in readiness for Christmas....
Heaven Hill Distilleries has released of the first edition of its limited annual series of aged American whisky....
The Boston Beer Company has reported record second quarter net revenue of US$92.9m, an increase of 17.1% over the same period last year, as volumes and revenue per barrel increased....
Nearly half of the water coolers across Beijing have allegedly been filled with bogus water, according to local press....
Former William Grant & Sons executive vice-president and national sales manager Joel Gosler has formed a new US import and marketing company....
Brown-Forman has updated the look of its Gentleman Jack Rare Tennessee Whiskey....
Saint Arnold Brewing Company has posted a healthy rise in full-year production....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future