US: Florida island to get first legal distillery - report
The Florida island of Key West is to get its first legal rum distillery, according to local reports.
The company, Chef Distilled, is being set-up by chef and professional kiteboarder Paul Menta, the Miami Herald reported. The firm's premises is a 2,500 square-foot warehouse, belived to be one of the Coca-Cola Co’s earliest bottling plants.
The labels on Chef Distilled's main product, Legal Rum, will carry mug shots of people arrested in Key West for bootlegging during Prohibition, the paper reported. “We want to use everything local, so why not local criminals?” Menta was quoted as saying.
Menta, who has a Facebook page for the company, and his partners are believed to have invested around US$300,000 in the business so far.
Legal Rum will be distributed throughout Keys West initially, then rolled out to South Florida. A bottle is expected to cost around $21 in stores.
A new law was passed in Florida in June allowing craft distillers to sell direct to the public. However the new law says consumers can only buy a maximum of two bottles a year.
For insight into the US' booming craft distilling scene, click here
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
Consumption of fruit/vegetable juice declined in 2012 in both the off-trade and on-trade channels. Off-trade volume sales of fruit/vegetable juice fell by 5% in 2012; a third consecutive year of decli...
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Bottled Water market to grow at a CAGR of 5.4 percent over the period 2012-2016. The population is increasing in many countries and this is one of the key fact...
The key story on the market in 2012 was the revelation that The Coca-Cola Co had purchased, via its subsidiary Coca-Cola Hellenic Bottling Co, the Belarusian juice factory Vlanpack, as well as the wel...
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly