US: Florida island to get first legal distillery - report
The Florida island of Key West is to get its first legal rum distillery, according to local reports.
The company, Chef Distilled, is being set-up by chef and professional kiteboarder Paul Menta, the Miami Herald reported. The firm's premises is a 2,500 square-foot warehouse, belived to be one of the Coca-Cola Co’s earliest bottling plants.
The labels on Chef Distilled's main product, Legal Rum, will carry mug shots of people arrested in Key West for bootlegging during Prohibition, the paper reported. “We want to use everything local, so why not local criminals?” Menta was quoted as saying.
Menta, who has a Facebook page for the company, and his partners are believed to have invested around US$300,000 in the business so far.
Legal Rum will be distributed throughout Keys West initially, then rolled out to South Florida. A bottle is expected to cost around $21 in stores.
A new law was passed in Florida in June allowing craft distillers to sell direct to the public. However the new law says consumers can only buy a maximum of two bottles a year.
For insight into the US' booming craft distilling scene, click here
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
Consumption of fruit/vegetable juice declined in 2012 in both the off-trade and on-trade channels. Off-trade volume sales of fruit/vegetable juice fell by 5% in 2012; a third consecutive year of decli...
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Bottled Water market to grow at a CAGR of 5.4 percent over the period 2012-2016. The population is increasing in many countries and this is one of the key fact...
FEMSA is the leading bottling company for The Coca-Cola Co in Mexico and globally. The company also manages a large retailing division under the OXXO brand with over 10,000 stores across the country a...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report