US: Florida House bans AWOL
Florida's House of Representatives this week passed legislation that would ban AWOL ("Alcohol Without Liquid") machines.
The controversial AWOL machines enable consumers to inhale alcohol vapours.
As well as anti-alcohol campaigners, the machines are being opposed by many in the beverage drinks industry as well.
In a statement, Guy Smith, Diageo North America's executive vice president said: "Diageo strongly believes that AWOL machines should be banned in Florida and the rest of the country because of our concern that they could encourage alcohol abuse and drunk driving. We applaud the efforts of Representative Henriquez to prohibit the use and sale of AWOL machines in Florida and to raise awareness about the potential dangers of these machines. We urge the Senate to take action quickly."
Diageo said it is currently supporting similar legislation in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, New York, Ohio, and Wisconsin. Diageo also supported this legislation in Kansas, where it passed the Legislature earlier this week.
In March this year, The Distilled Spirits Council (DISCUS) threw its weight behind efforts to ban the AWOL machines.
In August last year, Spirit Partners announced that it has acquired the exclusive license to market the AWOL technology in the US.
The company has denied that it is an irresponsible product, saying it was "simply a fun, new, exciting way for adults to enjoy alcohol in a responsible manner."
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Diageo is to launch a national advertising campaign for its gin band Tanqueray in the US....
Diageo is looking to change the image of one of its flagship brands in Colombia....
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
Diageo is poised to cut back its presence in Germany, according to local reports....
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research