SOUTH AFRICA: Flood of applicants for SAWB CEO post
A total of 120 applicants have been received for the CEO position at the newly established South African Wine and Brandy Company (SAWB) - the new wine industry mouthpiece in the Cape.
Five directors for each of the four chambers have been nominated and a four man executive committee selected, with Jan Scannel, MD of Distell, as acting chairman. He will remain as chairman of the executive committee once an independent chairperson is chosen.
The successful CEO will run a small full-time office to handle the management and administration for various functional units. They have been identified as market development; research and technological development; human resources development; business intelligence services; and socio-economic empowerment.
The directors - nominated from the ranks of the four direct stakeholder groups - are:
Wine farmers: Danie de Wet, Jannie le Roux, Pieter Hugo, Abrie Botha, Sharon February
Cellars: Izak Visagie, Kobus Joubert, Kobus Louw, Petrus van Rensburg, Herman Cruywagen
Labour: Nosey Pieterse, Baronese Claasen, Barry Stemmet, Trevor Hufke, Anthony Hendricks
Trade: Jan Scannell, Tshidi Seane, Dr Willem Barnard, Hermann Böhmer, Riaan Kruger.
De Wet, Visagie, Pieterse and Scannell will form the executive committee.
South African wine and spirits group Distell has posted a rise in half-year sales and volumes....
South African wine and spirit group Distell has been ordered to honour a contract it cancelled with a local grape farmer, according to reports....
Distell's broad-based black economic empowerment deal will cost about R870m (US$137m), but the new partners will be locked into an eight to 10 year agreement before any dividends are realised....
Distell today announced its broad-based transformation plans between a black economic empowerment group, certain employees and a corporate social investment trust (CSI Trust)....
KWV International has launched the second phase of its assault on the South African market with the introduction of its KWV 3-year-old brandy and Cathedral Cellar and KWV Classic ranges as it expands ...
Distell has appointed Don Gallow as its new director of international operations, in place of Etienne Heyns who left the company two weeks ago. ...
The Brown-Forman Corporation has added the Durbanville Hills range of wines from South Africa to its US portfolio....
Distell's headline earnings have rocketed by 34.5% to ZAR482.2m (US$75.2m) for the year to 30 June, thanks to improved performance from all the company's assets....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future