US: Flavoured vodka on-trade sales dip as whiskies grab share - figures
Flavoured vodka sales have fallen in on-trade
Sales of flavoured vodka in the US on-trade have fallen 12% in the past 12 months, despite continued new entries to the category, latest figures reveal.
Tracking firm Restaurant Sciences said yesterday (19 November) that 46 flavoured vodkas were launched between Q3 2012 and 3 2013 in the US, but the overall category lost around 1% of its on-trade spirits market share in the period. The company said other flavoured spirits, such as whiskey, took the share.
Some “select brands”, including Grey Goose Cherry Noir and Smirnoff Cranberry, were still showing “excellent" sales growth, Restaurant Sciences added.
A Restaurant Sciences spokesperson told just-drinks the company does not release sales numbers to media.
The firm tracks around 170m drink orders in the US foodservice industry, along with around 600 flavoured vodka brands. It also tracks Canada, but the country is not included in the latest figures.
Absolut Citron, the flavoured vodka category leader, posted a 1.8% year-over-year sales decline in the 12 month period, Restaurant Sciences said. Stolichnaya and Three Olives were “down more than 20%”, it said.
A report last month said that the global vodka market grew by 0.3% last year, with sales under pressure in Eastern and Central Europe.
After months of speculation, a buyer for Scotch whisky producer Whyte & Mackay finally emerged today (9 May). Philippines-based Emperador Inc has agreed to acquire the business from Diageo-controlled ...
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020