US: Flavoured vodka on-trade sales dip as whiskies grab share - figures
Flavoured vodka sales have fallen in on-trade
Sales of flavoured vodka in the US on-trade have fallen 12% in the past 12 months, despite continued new entries to the category, latest figures reveal.
Tracking firm Restaurant Sciences said yesterday (19 November) that 46 flavoured vodkas were launched between Q3 2012 and 3 2013 in the US, but the overall category lost around 1% of its on-trade spirits market share in the period. The company said other flavoured spirits, such as whiskey, took the share.
Some “select brands”, including Grey Goose Cherry Noir and Smirnoff Cranberry, were still showing “excellent" sales growth, Restaurant Sciences added.
A Restaurant Sciences spokesperson told just-drinks the company does not release sales numbers to media.
The firm tracks around 170m drink orders in the US foodservice industry, along with around 600 flavoured vodka brands. It also tracks Canada, but the country is not included in the latest figures.
Absolut Citron, the flavoured vodka category leader, posted a 1.8% year-over-year sales decline in the 12 month period, Restaurant Sciences said. Stolichnaya and Three Olives were “down more than 20%”, it said.
A report last month said that the global vodka market grew by 0.3% last year, with sales under pressure in Eastern and Central Europe.
The Future of the Spirits Market in the United States to 2017
The report presents detailed data on the Spirits consumption trends in United States, historic and forecast consumption volume and value at market and category level, brand share, alcoholic strength, ...read more
Colombia has shown an interesting development in the luxury industry, and the alcoholic drinks category has not been indifferent to the trend. Some examples of new premium lines that appeared in 2012 ...
After months of speculation, a buyer for Scotch whisky producer Whyte & Mackay finally emerged today (9 May). Philippines-based Emperador Inc has agreed to acquire the business from Diageo-controlled ...
Cider/perry sales remain negligible in Uzbekistan due to a lack of awareness of such products and very limited demand....
RTDs/high-strength premixes sales are negligible in Uzbekistan....
Despite the wide range of spirits available in Tunisia, Absolut vodka remains the spirits brand of choice during weddings and celebrations. Absolut vodka recorded the strongest sales in 2012 in nightc...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018