NEW ZEALAND: Flat millennium sales drives Champagne under the hammer
A lack of fizz over the Millennium means bargains for Champagne lovers down under as surplus stocks go to auction.Auckland auctioneer Peter Webb will put over 300 cases of Champagne under the hammer on Monday with the catalogue expected to raise about NZ$500,000.Webb says there is a mix of vintage and low price Champagne but the majority will be Heidseck Monopole, Roederer Cristal 1993 and Pol Roger 1990."Wine importers over imported this stuff last year and just didn't sell enough over the Millennium period and during the America's Cup. But this has been a worldwide problem but it gives us here an opportunity to enjoy some fine Champagne. I'm certainly planning to buy a couple of cases."French Champagne producers had their best year ever in 1999 with about 300 million bottles sold. But many wine importers have had to get rid of big surpluses.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Heineken CEO spies trouble ahead for UK
- Soft Drinks Has The Bottle to Cut Sugar - Comment
- Diageo puts Bacardi in frame with white rum ads
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Heineken ups sales, profits despite volume squeeze
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Mast-Jagermeister closes Sidney Frank buy
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research