NEW ZEALAND: Flat millennium sales drives Champagne under the hammer
A lack of fizz over the Millennium means bargains for Champagne lovers down under as surplus stocks go to auction.Auckland auctioneer Peter Webb will put over 300 cases of Champagne under the hammer on Monday with the catalogue expected to raise about NZ$500,000.Webb says there is a mix of vintage and low price Champagne but the majority will be Heidseck Monopole, Roederer Cristal 1993 and Pol Roger 1990."Wine importers over imported this stuff last year and just didn't sell enough over the Millennium period and during the America's Cup. But this has been a worldwide problem but it gives us here an opportunity to enjoy some fine Champagne. I'm certainly planning to buy a couple of cases."French Champagne producers had their best year ever in 1999 with about 300 million bottles sold. But many wine importers have had to get rid of big surpluses.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- The future for drinks industry's waste products
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- "We tried to make Bushmills hot" - Diageo CEO
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends