NEW ZEALAND: Flat millennium sales drives Champagne under the hammer
A lack of fizz over the Millennium means bargains for Champagne lovers down under as surplus stocks go to auction.Auckland auctioneer Peter Webb will put over 300 cases of Champagne under the hammer on Monday with the catalogue expected to raise about NZ$500,000.Webb says there is a mix of vintage and low price Champagne but the majority will be Heidseck Monopole, Roederer Cristal 1993 and Pol Roger 1990."Wine importers over imported this stuff last year and just didn't sell enough over the Millennium period and during the America's Cup. But this has been a worldwide problem but it gives us here an opportunity to enjoy some fine Champagne. I'm certainly planning to buy a couple of cases."French Champagne producers had their best year ever in 1999 with about 300 million bottles sold. But many wine importers have had to get rid of big surpluses.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits