SWEDEN: First fines in Systembolaget trials
Fines have been handed out to 20 people linked with the Systembolaget bribery scandal. Eighteen store managers and two employees of a wine supplier were fined between SEK1,500 and SEK51,000 (US$191.42 and US$6,510) by a Stockholm court yesterday (19 December).
A further 72 people, the majority of which are former employees of the state-run alcohol retailing monopoly, are awaiting trial in the scandal. Systembolaget has been under investigation since 2003 for employees allegedly taking bribes from drinks distributors to improve the profile of their products in stores.
Of the 20 people fined, two are employees of distributor Vin-Traedgardh, which had denied the bribery accusations in August. The two had paid around SEK190,000 in bribes, the court said.
Earlier this year, Systembolaget cancelled all wine supplier contracts, including its agreement with Vin-Traedgardh.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends