FINLAND: Finlandia sale boosts Altia profits
Altia saw its 2002 profits before extraordinary items reach €103.4m, an increase from that €35m made last year. However, the good news was tempered by warnings from the company that Finland's high tax system on alcohol would affect future profits.
And excluding the €71.1m it gained from the sale of a 35% stake Finlandia, profits were flat for the year. Altia still retains a 20% stake overall in Finlandia, with Brown-Forman owning the rest.
Altia called on the government to cut taxes, which would put increasing pressure on the industry with the upcoming entry of Estonia ino the EU, which could stimulate further cros-border shopping by Finns.
Speaking to the news service Reuters, chief Executive Veikko Kasurinen said he wanted to see alcohol taxes halved. "It is unfortunate for the entire Finnish alcohol industry that political decision makers' still have not taken the necessary measures concerning alcohol taxation and advertising policies," Kasurinen said.
"We are in practice competing against all global brands and companies. Finnish firms' in the industry would immediately have to be given equal rights when it comes to such competition elements," he added.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
The US wines and spirits company, Brown-Forman, has launched its vodka brand, Finlandia, in India. Along with the core brand, three flavoured versions of Finlandia are also to be made available on the...
Alcohol intake amongst young female adults in the UK continues to rise and shows no signs of abating, according to a recent report....
Cobra Beer has launched an alcohol-free beer in South Africa, the UK and in its European and Asian export markets....
Brown-Forman Beverages has replaced Bacardi as its spirits distributor in Canada....
Samuel Adams Brewery has secured a production deal with Brown-Forman....
A director of Brown-Forman Corp. has sold part of his holding in the company....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts