EU: Finland pushes for stronger vodka law
The Finnish Government is to challenge the European Commission's proposals for a broad definition of vodka under the proposed new European Union (EU) spirit labelling regulations, exploiting its oncoming position as EU president. Finland will use its control over EU Council of Ministers' business to try and secure agreement that only drinks made from cereals or potatoes can be labelled 'vodka'.
Others, like Diageo's Ciroc, which is made from grapes, would have to be called 'spirit drink' or 'white spirit.'
Finland says the present regulation, which does not specify any raw material for the manufacture of vodka, dates from the 1980s when there were no major vodka-producing countries in the EU.
"We cannot accept the definition of vodka given in the proposal, according to which the raw material is not limited…this discriminates against vodka producers," said a Finnish government spokesman, claiming that Germany, Belgium, Poland, Sweden, Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia agreed with this line.
But the UK and several other EU countries strongly disagree, accusing the Finns and their allies of protectionism. Alan Butler director of EU corporate relations at Diageo told just-drinks.com that the Commission proposals would "in no way affect the ability of Finland to use geographical indications to promote their own products."
Orangina Schweppes has appointed Hughes Pietrini as marketing director....
Diageo, Bacardi and Pernod Ricard have pledged separate contributions totalling EUR120,000 to a campaign fund set up by the European Travel Retail Confederation (ETRC) to tackle the threat posed by ne...
Blossom Hill has announced a GBP900,000 (US$1.76m) TV advertising campaign in the UK for the four weeks leading up to Christmas....
Diageo has been given the all-clear to make a bid for New Zealand's Independent Liquor....
Central European Distribution Corporation (CEDC) has bought up only 10% of the intended amount of shares in Polmos Bialystok, according to local reports....
Blavod Extreme Spirits looks set to be snapped up in the coming weeks....
A look at this month's new beverage products includes the Cocaine controversy in the US, a newly-sized water targeting men in the UK and a Brazilian octagonally-packaged water....
Sula Vineyards is expanding its domestic market, according to local reports....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future