UK: Fine wine, online sales help Majestic FY profits
- Profits before tax up 2.2% to GBP23.7m (US$37.3m)
- Sales fall 2.1% to GBP274.4m
- Online sales up 14.7%
- Fine wine sales up 9.4%
Majestic was helped by fine wine and online sales
Majestic Wine has reported a slight rise in full-year profits as online and fine wine sales propped up its performance.
Group profits before tax in the 12 months to end of April rose by 2.2% to GBP23.7m (US$37.3m), the Watford-headquarted retailer said today (17 June). Overall sales in the period fell by 2.1% to GBP274.4m.
However, online transactions were up by 14.7% and now represent 11% of its UK sales, the company reported.
The average price of a bottle of wine bought at Majestic also increased from GBP7.34 last year, to GBP7.56.
Sales of fine wine, a segment priced at GBP20 and above per bottle, also rose by 9.4%, and represented 6.5% of all store purchases, Majestic said.
English wine sales also "significantly increased", the group said, without giving further detail.
Majestic opened 16 stores in the year and is on-track to reach 330 in the UK, it said.
Current trading is "in line" with expectations, while the group said it is "well prepared" for summer.
Chief executive Steve Lewis said: “Majestic is in excellent shape and has made good progress with the four key elements of our future growth strategy: new stores, business customers, ecommerce and fine wine.”
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages