UK: Fetzer beats Constellation to pub deal
Constellation Europe has lost out on its bid to win a lucrative contract at UK pub group JD Wetherspoon.
The contract to become the exclusive supplier of house wine to the pub chain was awarded to Fetzer Vineyards, owned by US wine and spirits group Brown-Forman.
The decision is a blow to Constellation, which in July was forced to deny that senior management at its UK distribution arm Matthew Clark had tried to artificially boost pub sales in Wetherspoon pubs to win the contract.
Reports then claimed that Steve Thompson, the managing director at Matthew Clark, had e-mailed staff asking them to buy eight bottles each of Constellation-owned wine during a trial in Wetherspoon pubs to boost sales.
Constellation maintained the e-mail was part of "mystery shopper type exercise" designed to help it "gain greater insight into the on-trade wine category".
A spokesman for JD Wetherspoon, which owns 650 pubs around the UK, said the decision to award the contract to Fetzer was not related to Constellation's alleged attempt to artificially boost sales.
"The final decision was purely about the quality of wine and came after feedback from customers," he told just-drinks today (23 October).
While the spokesman refused to be drawn on whether the furore surrounding the leaked e-mail from Matthew Clark had affected Wetherspoon's decision, it is understood that the publicity did little to help Constellation's bid to secure the contract.
The spokesman also declined to put a value on the contract but said wine was becoming "increasingly popular" at Wetherspoon pubs throughout the country.
Officials at Constellation could not be reached for comment as just-drinks went to press.
Constellation Europe's Stowells wine brand has been revamped in the UK....
Constellation Brands has announced a change in its investor relations department....
Constellation Brands has sold half of its Matthew Clark wholesale business in the UK....
Constellation Europe has lined up a promotional push for its Kumala wine brand in and around London in the UK....
The board of directors at Constellation Brands has been extended from seven to eight seats....
Constellation Brands has posted an increase in full-year earnings as rising wine sales in North America and a first contribution from its Vincor International business offset challenges in the UK. The...
Centerra Wines Co. has launched a line extension to its Arbor Mist range....
Sweden's Finance Ministry has confirmed that an official close to the planned privatisation of V&S Group has resigned....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo job cut figures "likely overstated"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends