MEXICO: Femsa operating profit up 13% in second quarter
Femsa, which produces the Tecate, Sol and Dos Equis beer brands, and also owns 51% of Coca-Cola Femsa (KOF), Mexico's largest Coke bottler, posted sales revenues of MXN13.372 billion, up 4.9% from last year.
The company attributed the sales growth chiefly to an 8.6% rise in turnover at KOF and said continued gains in efficiency at all its subsidiaries allowed it to boost profitability in a "very tough quarter".
Sergio Saenz, director of Femsa's beer division, said that the company's domestic market share fell by 0.7% in the first half of 2002. The company generally has a market share in Mexico of around 45%. "I would estimate for a 12-month moving average (a loss of) 0.3%," Saenz said. "We do not have any evidence that would be a permanent loss."
Net beer sales were static while sales volumes rose marginally. Export volumes rose by 6% fuelled by continued high demand in the US.
Femsa re-stated its projection for the full year. "Despite the challenging economic environment and resulting weakness in domestic demand, we believe the implementation of the strategic plan for the year is on track and on budget," the company said. "We therefore reiterate our expectations for the full year 2002: a target growth range of 1% to 2% for domestic (beer) volumes and 5% to 7% for export volumes."
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- US spirits pricing went "a little high" - Diageo
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research