IRELAND: Feckin's okay, Stiffys is not - trade body
A drink called 'Stiffys Shots' has fallen foul of a regulatory body in Ireland. 'Feckin Irish Whiskey', however, has been given the all-clear by Mature Enjoyment of Alcohol in Society (MEAS) Ltd.
Stiffys, owned by Scottish company VC2, was playing on a slang word for an erection and suggested an association with sexual success or prowess. An MEAS adjudication panel also noted that the brand's flavour variants of 'Kola Kubez', 'Tutti Fruitti' and 'Apple Tang' could cause confusion with other non-alcoholic drinks and confectionary.
Answering a complaint from a member of the public about Feckin Irish Whiskey, the panel conceded that the name was "distasteful", but that it was not in breach of the MEAS Code of Practice on the Naming, Packaging and Promotion of Alcoholic Drinks.
"(Feckin) is a word that is commonly used in everyday speech and generally not in a context which has sexual connotations, or other connotations that would put it in breach of the provisions of the code," the trade body said. In relation to the phrase "infamy, dishonesty and villainy" which appears on the product label, the panel concluded that, while these words were used in poor taste, they did not contravene any provision of the code.
"I am pleased to note that the owners of Stiffys Shots have stated they will be consulting with the MEAS Advisory Service in the coming weeks to bring their product in line with the MEAS Code," said MEAS chief executive, Fionnuala Sheehan. "I would encourage drinks producers and promoters to avail of MEAS's free pre-launch Advisory Service as modification of product packaging and promotional materials is a costly business."
Few companies felt the shockwave of Allied Domecq's sale more than Corby Distilleries. But the Canadian company has shrugged off the doubts and concerns about its future to emerge a stronger and more ...
Alcohol harm is back at the top of the media agenda this week - is it ever away for long? The Alcohol Health Alliance, a newly-formed association of 24 leading health organisations in the UK, is c...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
American Beverage Licensees (ABL) has launched a campaign to fight drunk driving and improve traffic safety in the US....
Systembolaget has posted a volume lift in alcohol sales last year....
Anheuser-Busch is rolling out its Budweiser & Clamato Chelada and Bud Light & Clamato Chelada pre-mixed products nationwide, on the back of successful test-marketing in Arizona, Colorado and Nebraska....
Saigon Beer Alcohol Beverage Corp (Sabeco) is looking for a foreign brewer to invest in the Vietnamese company, according to local reports....
Diageo's CEO has been appointed chairman of The Scotch Whisky Association....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research