JAPAN: February beer sales rise on price hikes - figures
Domestic shipments of beer and beer-like beverages in Japan rose slightly last month ahead of further price rises in the country, according to recent figures.
Statistics from the Brewers Association of Japan and the major brewers, released today (12 March), showed that shipments in February rose 6.5% on the corresponding month in 2007, totalling 34.4m cases. One case equates to 12.66 litres.
Asahi Breweries, which is battling Kirin Brewery for the top spot in Japan's beer market, has lined up a price hike for later this month, which helped drive shipments in February, industry observers have claimed.
Asahi's shipments soared by 52.3% on February last year, to 18.33m cases with shipments of its Super Dry brand leaping 63.8%. The company reported strong sales of its 'happoshu' and so-called 'third category' beer brands.
The lift follows an 11.9% lift in sales in January, with Kirin warning that it would up its prices in February.
Kirin's sales fell back a little in February, thanks in part to the price rise. Specific figures, however, were not disclosed. Sapporo Breweries and Suntory, both of whom have warned that they will up their prices in April, also saw sales decrease in the month.
The runners and riders are lining up to buy Cadbury Schweppes' Australian soft drinks unit, should it be put up for sale....
Kirin, the Japanese drinks firm, has said it intends to expand its soft drinks division overseas, but declined to comment on speculation that it has shown interest in Cadbury Schweppes' Australian dri...
Japanese brewer Kirin has blamed rising costs and a sluggish market for a drop in domestic beer sales and profits in its first half....
Lion Nathan has posted a lift in sales for the first nine months of its current fiscal year, driven mainly by its purchase of J Boag & Son in January....
Sapporo Breweries is to raise the annual sales target of its beer-like drink "Mugi to Hop," to 5.5 million cases from the previously planned three million cases, according to local sources....
Suntory has taken the number three spot on the Japanese domestic beer market, leapfrogging Sapporo Breweries....
Steel Partners Japan Strategic Fund has called for Sapporo Holdings to consider bringing an investment bank in "to explore strategic alternatives" for the Japanese company....
UK brewer Wells and Young's is relaunching Waggle Dance, its honey-flavoured 5% abv ale, with a new look....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends