USA: FDA Clears Use of Barex Resin for Beverage Containers
The FDA's Food Contact Notification program clearly removes the previous exemption, in existence since the early 1970s. "Improvements in testing equipment allowed us to demonstrate that bottles made of Barex 210 satisfy the FDA's safety criteria," says Robert Sentman, Technical Manager for the product. "The FDA's assessment of Barex® 210 resin is that it can be used safely in specific beverage applications."
New Solutions for Bottlers
This new FDA approval permits the use of Barex® 210 Extrusion Grade Resin for most non-dairy, non-alcoholic, non-carbonated beverages, including ready-to-serve coffees and teas, fresh fruit juices, and processed fruit and vegetable juices. "The FDA's use conditions E and F are allowed, which cover aseptic, room-temperature filling and storage and refrigeration," says Melillo.
The unique combination of properties of Barex® 210 Extrusion Grade Resin make it a welcome solution for beverage bottlers looking for crystal clarity, remarkable strength, and excellent barrier performance. With a flexural modulus that makes this product stronger than most others, and its exceptional oxygen and carbon dioxide gas barrier properties, fabricators can deliver to the market tough rigid bottles that extend beverage shelf-life.
For more information about the FDA clearances
The inventory list of effective Premarket Notifications for Food Contact Substances can be viewed at the FDA's Internet site, www.cfsan.fda.gov, under Food Additives and Premarket Approval, Notification Programs.
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research