CHINA: Fake spirits dominate China's HORECA sector
A survey by the China National Administration for Industry and Commerce in Beijing, Shenyang, Zhengzhou and Chengdu claims more than 70 percent of "imported" spirts sold in restaurants and hotels in the four cities is fake.
Their inspection of 50 hotels and restaurants in the four cities showed just 28.6 percent of bottles sold as quality, imported spirts were the real thing.
Beijing fared better than the rest, but is reported to have only managed 60% authenticity.
While counterfeiting is a multimillion dollar business in China, on occasion the investigators found the fake product was simply down to restaurants or hotels transferring cheap spirits into fancy imported bottles. In an effort to stamp out the trade, the administration has launched a crackdown on agents and dealers.
Eighteen months after its entry into the World Trade Organisation, China remains a counterfeit paradise, awash with a huge range of copied industrial products and brands, local or foreign.
After 20 years, the EU has finally agreed a wine trade treaty with the US but European producers fear that too much ground has been given, particularly with regard to the protection of places of origi...
Brazil's orange juice producers have been accused of dumping orange juice in the US market....
The UK's Scotch Whisky Association has hit back at claims it has been "hostile" in its pursuit of a cut in India's tariffs on imported spirits....
World Trade Organisation talks on creating a register for wine and spirit geographical designations have failed after two years of negotiations....
The US claims that it has won a World Trade Organisation (WTO) case against Mexico, with a disputes panel ruling a 20% tax on Mexican soft drinks manufactured with imported high-fructose corn syrup br...
The US Commerce Department has introduced preliminary anti-dumping duties of up to 60% on orange juice from Brazil following complaints from Florida citrus growers accusing Brazilian producers of comp...
The European Union (EU) has released more details of its proposed global register of geographical indications for wines and spirits it wants agreed during the World Trade Organisation's (WTO) ongoing ...
An Italian court has ruled in Anheuser-Busch's favour, ordering the cancellation of three registered trademarks in Italy held by Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Pernod takes Absolut Warhol push to Travel Retail
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014