UK: Facebook campaign pushes Gaymer Cider Co to bring back Blackthorn Dry
Dry Blackthorn returns
Gaymer Cider Company has acquiesced to a Facebook group, which had campaigned for the restoration of its original recipe for the Blackthorn cider brand in the UK.
The cider firm, which was bought by C&C Group late last year, said today (5 March) that it will bring back Dry Blackthorn cider from the end of this month, following a Facebook campaign by cider drinkers in the south-west.
After Gaymer relaunched Blackthorn with a new recipe and lower abv back in March last year, the company saw several pubs and consumers in Bristol snub the product. Advertising hoardings promoting the cider were defaced, while the Bristol Evening Post reported that several pub landlords refused to stock the new Blackthorn.
“We underestimated the passion people in the south-west have for Dry Blackthorn and have been bowled over by their determination to get their favourite cider back,” said Peter Spencer, Gaymer's managing director.
“Before we changed the recipe 12 months ago we conducted extensive customer research, both locally and nationally, and many cider drinkers told us they liked the new more contemporary taste. However, once it was launched it became clear that some cider drinkers in the south-west wanted the original Dry Blackthorn. We have listened to these supporters and it’s their successful campaigning which has brought Dry Blackthorn back.”
Dry Blackthorn will be available in 500ml cans sitting alongside the regular Blackthorn liquid.
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Guinness: A Great Day for St James's Gate
- Can the New World Learn a Lesson from the Old?
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Scottish leader speaks out over Scotch whisky
- Diageo's Special Releases 2014