INDIA: Experts In Southern India Call For Increased Import Duties
The United Planters Association of Southern India is calling for increased import duties on plantation crops, tea in particular, to protect the country's small growers.At a time when a national surplus has led to a crisis, vice-president of the planters association, E.K. Joseph said: "The situation needs to be viewed in the context of the danger posed with the removal of quantitative restrictions on imports by 1st April 2001, when plantation crops could be freely imported into the country.""Protection under a tariff regime is a must for the domestic industry and the safeguard is additional tariffs," he added.India, is the largest producer and consumer of tea, producing around 800m kg annually and as part of its commitment to the World Trade Organisation, it agreed this year to remove quantitative restrictions on imports of 714 items.Most of India's small tea growers are based in Southern India and this region alone produces nearly 200m kg, and half is exported to give reasonable prices to growers.But, a drop in domestic auction prices and imports from Sri Lanka under the Free Trade Agreement have hit the growers hard and under the agreement, tea imports from Sri Lanka attract a concessional duty of 7.5% up to 15m kg, subject to conditions.Joseph said tea prices in the domestic auction had dropped to 48.11 rupees ($1.06) per kg in mid-July from 58.04 rupees ($1.28) at the same time in 1999.Sarah Diston
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets