EU: Experts back vodka status quo
Moves to restrict vodka production within the EU would damage the industry's competitiveness, experts have warned.
Delegates at a public hearing in Brussels said that attempts by countries including Finland and Poland to protect vodka as a traditional spirit made only from grain or potatoes should be rejected.
The Finns will use their six-month EU presidency, which starts on 1 July, to push for change, but the European Commission wants to maintain the status quo and allow vodka to be made from a range of ingredients, including molasses.
Any reclassification of vodka - which has never been subject to the same production restrictions as Scotch whisky - would confuse consumers and increase the threat from rival producers in Russia, drinks industry specialists said.
Having pioneered the super-premium vodka category in Russia, billionaire entrepreneur Roustam Tariko is eyeing international markets with his Russian Standard Original and Imperia brands, looking to b...
India's UB Group looks to be closing in on the acquisition of UK spirits group Whyte & Mackay after months of negotiations....
Polmos Lublin has warned that its profits for this year will come in below its initial forecasts....
Russian Standard has snapped up the Internet domain name vodka.com for US$3m....
The Swedish government has confirmed that it is planning to sell off V&S Group, the owner of Absolut vodka. The centre-right government, which came to power in September, officially announced today (1...
V&S Group looks ready to close a production site in Sweden as it looks to cut costs throughout its business in the Nordic region....
Centerra Wine Company has unveiled a new drink which combines brandy, vodka and vanilla....
Pernod Ricard has moved again to quell speculation that its talks with Soyuzplodoimport over Stolichnaya vodka are "a few weeks" from reaching a conclusion....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends