Exclusive - Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
Dan Jago was initially suspended by Tesco in October - he returns on 9 March
UK retailer Tesco has reinstated its suspended director of wine, spirits and beer, Dan Jago, just-drinks can reveal.
The company, which has been under investigation by the UK's Financial Conduct Authority, suspended Jago, along with several other executives, in October. The investigation - and subsequent suspensions - were sparked by Tesco's discovery of a GBP263m (US$421m) shortfall in its profits.
However, just-drinks has learnt that Jago will return to Tesco, albeit in a different role as category director for group wine, in two weeks' time.
In an internal memo seen by just-drinks, Tesco's commercial director, Jason Tarry, said: "We asked Dan to step aside to facilitate our recent investigation into the recognition of commercial income. We have now concluded our investigation on this matter, and as a result, Dan will be back in the business from Monday 9 March."
Tarry went on to thank Jago for "the manner in which he has engaged with us, during a particularly difficult time for him personally".
When contacted by Tesco, a spokesperson for the company said: "We can confirm Dan Jago will be returning to the business. Dan will be returning to work in March.”
In Tesco's most recent set of results, the company reported a 92% fall in half-year profits to GBP112m as sales slipped by 4.4% in the six months to the end of August.
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research