Exclusive - Bacardi ups Scotch footprint with Compass Box stake buy
Bacardi has acquired an unspecified stake in Compass Box Whisky Co
Bacardi has confirmed to just-drinks that it has increased its presence in the Scotch whisky category through a stake purchase in craft distiller Compass Box Whisky Co.
The company, which acquired the Angel's Envy Bourbon brand earlier this week, said late yesterday that it has bought a "minority stake" in London-headquartered Compass Box. Formed in 2000 by ex-UDV global marketing director John Glaser, the Scotch whisky company produces a range of small batch Scotch whiskies under the Asyla, Oak Cross, The Spice Tree, The Peat Monster and Hedonism brand names.
"We at Bacardi are such big believers in John Glaser and his Compass Box collection of fine Scotch whiskies that we have become a long-term Scotch supplier to Compass Box through our John Dewar & Sons business, and a minority stake investor," a spokesperson for Bacardi told just-drinks yesterday.
"Bacardi has held a long-term belief in supporting innovative founders in emerging and growing businesses. Bacardi also has a well-known track record of maintaining the unique heritage of a brands origin. John continues to lead and run the business and it operates as a standalone company."
The spokesperson declined to give specific details about both the size of stake and the price paid. No one was immediately available for comment at Compass Box.
As well as the Dewar's blended Scotch portfolio, Bacardi owns the William Lawson's, Aberfeldy, Glen Deveron and Royal Brackla brands.
Having shared their thoughts on what trends will shape the spirits category in 2016, Euromonitor considers the corporate side of the segment, Senior alcoholic drinks analyst Jeremy Cunnington forecast...
Bacardi has redesigned its Martini portfolio and unveiled a new brand strategy as it looks to focus on the 'Modern Aperitivo' occasion. ...
The Sazerac Co has moved the UK distribution of its newly-acquired Southern Comfort and Tuaca brands from Bacardi Brown-Forman Brands to Hi-Spirits....
Sazerac Co's cinnamon-flavoured whiskey, Fireball, has topped a US poll that measures bartender recommendations....
Pernod Ricard has unveiled a super-premium, limited edition iteration of its Havana Club rum brand....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt I
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Molson Coors hit by US$500m write-down in Canada
- ForEx bites, but Heineken hails strong 2016
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends