ITALY: Exchange rate sinks Campari spirits
Campari said net sales fell 2% in its first half, as the Italian drinks group struggled to offset unfavourable exchange rates.
Campari sales dropped to EUR431m (US$649m) for the first six months of 2008. Revenue was flat, excluding exchange rate fluctuations, while spirits sales suffered a decline of 4.5%, compared to the same period last year. Pre-tax profits crept up 1.3% to EUR83.7m.
CEO Bob Kunze-Concewitz said the firm had achieved "solid results" in "a very tough environment", adding that performance improved during the second quarter and full-year guidance remained unchanged.
In spirits, the loss of the Tequila 1800 distribution contract in the US damaged sales, the firm said. There were also declines for its Brazilian brands and Cynar, which dropped 15.8% and 8.5%, excluding currency rate changes.
The Campari brand helped to limit the damage with growth of 4.8% at constant exchange rates, and 4.3% at exchange rates. The wines division, including the Cinzano brand, also increased sales by 5.6%. Soft drinks sales in Italy rose 1.8%.
A raft of recent reports looking at the US spirits market have suggested that, while times are tough in the country, they could be a whole lot worse. Chris Mercer takes a closer look at the numbers t...
January may be the time to look forward to the coming year but few in the drinks industry will be eyeing the coming year with relish. However, given the pessimistic tone of virtually every market and ...
Fortune Brands chief executive Bruce Carbonari has said he remains confident that the group's spirits arm, Beam Global Spirits & Wine, can ride out recession, despite a tumble in sales and profit....
Constellation Brands is set to target "cleaning up" its portfolio going forward....
AV Brands has appointed a vice president for its western region in the US....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has signed a new distribution deal with Southern Wine & Spirits of America....
Brown-Forman is rolling out a 100% blue agave addition to its el Jimador Tequila line in the US....
Drinks Americas, the US-based spirits group, has said it has completed its acquisition of Olifant Vodka....
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits