ITALY: Exchange rate sinks Campari spirits
Campari said net sales fell 2% in its first half, as the Italian drinks group struggled to offset unfavourable exchange rates.
Campari sales dropped to EUR431m (US$649m) for the first six months of 2008. Revenue was flat, excluding exchange rate fluctuations, while spirits sales suffered a decline of 4.5%, compared to the same period last year. Pre-tax profits crept up 1.3% to EUR83.7m.
CEO Bob Kunze-Concewitz said the firm had achieved "solid results" in "a very tough environment", adding that performance improved during the second quarter and full-year guidance remained unchanged.
In spirits, the loss of the Tequila 1800 distribution contract in the US damaged sales, the firm said. There were also declines for its Brazilian brands and Cynar, which dropped 15.8% and 8.5%, excluding currency rate changes.
The Campari brand helped to limit the damage with growth of 4.8% at constant exchange rates, and 4.3% at exchange rates. The wines division, including the Cinzano brand, also increased sales by 5.6%. Soft drinks sales in Italy rose 1.8%.
A raft of recent reports looking at the US spirits market have suggested that, while times are tough in the country, they could be a whole lot worse. Chris Mercer takes a closer look at the numbers t...
January may be the time to look forward to the coming year but few in the drinks industry will be eyeing the coming year with relish. However, given the pessimistic tone of virtually every market and ...
Fortune Brands chief executive Bruce Carbonari has said he remains confident that the group's spirits arm, Beam Global Spirits & Wine, can ride out recession, despite a tumble in sales and profit....
Constellation Brands is set to target "cleaning up" its portfolio going forward....
AV Brands has appointed a vice president for its western region in the US....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has signed a new distribution deal with Southern Wine & Spirits of America....
Brown-Forman is rolling out a 100% blue agave addition to its el Jimador Tequila line in the US....
Drinks Americas, the US-based spirits group, has said it has completed its acquisition of Olifant Vodka....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets