UK: Ex-S&N exec to launch imported beers stable
A former executive at brewing giant Scottish & Newcastle is putting together a stable of imported beers he hopes will boost the quality of beer on sale in the UK.
Roger Crosthwaite, who retired from his post of purchasing director at S&N in 2001, runs a Scotland-based firm, REC Brands, that plans to distribute brands from around the world in the UK.
Crosthwaite said REC will roll out Czech beer Starobrno across the UK early next year. He is also in "final discussions" to take on Spanish brew Estrella Galicia and Portuguese brand Cintra. Talks have also started on REC handling Presidente, a beer from the Dominican Republic.
Crosthwaite said the brands would be targeted at the UK on-trade with a limited presence in some specialist beer outlets.
"The portfolio would stand out in terms of quality, heritage and consumer choice," he told just-drinks today (31 October). "I believe that a large amount of importers are only concerned about moving volumes; they don't, in my view, offer much in the way of consumer choice."
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research