USA: eVineyard Exports Wine to Japan
eVineyard today announced that it will be the exclusive wine retailer serving the Japanese market through the online portal ShopUSA@nifty when the site launches on October 23, 2000. eVineyard will be taking orders and shipping wine by early November. "This is a very exciting opportunity for eVineyard," said Chief Marketing Officer Brett E. Lauter. "The Nifty partnership, the company's first foray into overseas sales, provides an unprecedented opportunity to reach one of the world's most wired shopping audiences in a country that has demonstrated its affinity for California and other wines." Nifty is the largest Internet provider in Japan, logging over 8 million unique visitors per month. Operated by Nifty Corp., the company is a fully owned subsidiary of Fujitsu Limited. The portal is expected to become a powerful driver for the high-profile U.S. companies on the site, where eVineyard is joined by L. L. Bean and Ashford.com, among others. In 1998, California wine exports to Japan grew 134% to $93 million. "If eVineyard can capture just one percent of that business, we will be very pleased with the results," said Tom Heller, eVineyard's VP of business development. In fact, the company hopes to capture even greater revenues in the market, where it will be distinguished by a selection of more than 1000 wines. The logistics for the wine exports are very straightforward according to Heller. Wines purchased through ShopUSA@nifty will be categorized in Japan as "personal imports," the criteria for which is an individual purchase of foreign manufactured goods directly through overseas mail-order companies, retail stores and manufacturers for personal use. Limitations of quantity are at Japanese Customs discretion, which typically is most concerned with ensuring that goods are not for resale. Wines will be shipped to Japan via airfreight from eVineyard's Hayward, California, logistic center. The recipients will be responsible for all applicable shipping charges and duties.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends