EUROPE: European wine marketing "ill-suited" to modern market
European collective wine marketing systems are "insufficient and ill-suited to market requirements compared to those of wine-growing companies in the New World wine producing countries," according to European wine body.
The conclusion was drawn at a seminar last week (28 and 29 November) organised by COPA-COGECA, the association of European agricultural co-operative organisations and the CEV, Europe's association for the wine industry and trade.
Christina Rueda, head of the wine department at COPA/COGECA, later told just-drinks.com that imported wine was not cheap but it was taking big shares of the European market because it was aggressively promoted. "But here in Europe we have lots of little family companies and our commercial structure hasn't modernised so quickly," she said.
There had to be more emphasis on the marketing of European wine through promotions, the development of innovative products and some means of monitoring the market so producers could know quickly what was happening in terms of consumer tastes, she said.
The UK market is developing in terms of sales and sophistication. Drawing on up-to-the-minute consumer research, Alex McPhee, Neville Calvert and David Matthews of management consultants, KPMG, examin...
Recently published research indicates that while consumers have taken to the clear and modern marketing techniques employed by New World producers, they still cherish the romance and mystique of wine,...
Seven French wine co-operatives have joined forces to create a brand to compete with its New World rivals....
US wine and spirits distributor New World Brands has appointed David Rudden as CEO....
UBS has begun its coverage of the Chilean wine producer Concha y Toro (VCO)....
Vincor International has reported a 46% increase in first quarter sales, compared to the same period last year, to C$165.8m, following its acquisition of Western Wines in July last year....
The Norwegian drinks distributor Arcus is to launch its own Argentine wine brand....
The French wine industry's troubles are unlikely to be helped by this year's harvest as preliminary figures predict a bumper crop, placing more pressure on winemakers who are still struggling to sell ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report