EUR: European Court delivers minimum pricing ruling
Minimum pricing for cigarettes is illegal, according to the ECJ
Scottish plans to introduce minimum pricing for alcohol have been dealt a blow by a ruling from the European Court of Justice.
Minimum pricing legislation in France, Austria and Ireland concerning cigarettes infringes European law, the court ruled yesterday (4 March).
“According to the (European) Commission [which had brought infringement actions before the court], the legislation of those three Member States ... undermines the freedom of manufacturers and importers to determine the maximum retail selling prices of their products and, correspondingly, free competition,” the court said. “That legislation is therefore contrary to the directive (which lays down rules on excise duty affecting the consumption of those products).”
Responding to the ruling, the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA), which has consistently opposed Scotland's ruling Scottish National Party's proposals on minimum pricing for alcohol, called on the Scottish government to withdraw its minimum pricing proposal from the Alcohol Bill.
“It (the Scottish Government) cannot introduce a trade barrier in breach of the UK’s European obligations by imposing minimum pricing on alcohol in Scotland,” said the organisation's chief executive, Gavin Hewitt.
“We would urge the Scottish Government to withdraw minimum pricing from the Alcohol Bill and hope that a consensus can now be reached on tackling loss leading sales of alcohol.”
To read the official announcement from the European Court of Justice, click here.
Opposition parties are preparing to torpedo the Scottish Government's last-ditch attempt to impose a minimum price on alcoholic drinks when the proposal comes up for debate next week....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages