UK: European Commission scales back colouring limit
European Commission member states voted to reduce the level of Sunset Yellow to 20mg
The European Commission has scaled back plans to restrict the use of the colouring Sunset Yellow.
A proposal to set a lower limit of 10mg per litre from 50mg on Sunset Yellow was presented for vote at a Standing Committee in September. However, on Friday (9 September), member states voted to reduce the level to just 20mg.
The vote followed a report by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) last year, which found that exposure to the additive could be too high, particularly among UK children. As a result, the Commission introduced EU-wide, mandatory warning labels on food and drink containing any one of six colourings named in a University of Southampton study in 2007, which found that the colours, Sunset Yellow, Quinoline Yellow and Ponceau4R, were linked to an increased risk of hyperactivity in children.
A spokesperson for the Commission told just-drinks today: "The Commission considers it appropriate to reduce the current conditions of use and use levels, in several food categories, to ensure that the use of the food colours is safe in particular for children."
The legislation is expected to be implemented by the end of the year, but manufacturers will have until June 2013 to make any necessary changes to their products.
While many firms have already replaced the colourings in their products, AG Barr still uses Sunset Yellow and Ponceau 4R in its flagship Irn-Bru soft drink, and GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) continues to use Sunset Yellow in its Lucozade Energy Original drink.
In the second part of just-drinks' review of 2011, Michelle Russell looks at how the soft drinks category has fared in the last 12 months....
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Q2 drags on half-year for Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research