EU: Europe-wide Alcohol and Health Forum established
A new body has been created to focus on alcohol and health in Europe.
Responding to a European Commission initiative, over 40 businesses and non-governmental organisations agreed yesterday (7 June) to create the Alcohol and Health Forum. The group, which will meet twice a year, will focus on actions to protect children and young people and to prevent irresponsible commercial alcohol communication and sales.
"My expectations for this forum are high, as they need to be given the health challenge posed by alcohol related harm," said EU Health Commissioner Markos Kyprianou. "In particular, I expect the alcoholic beverages industry to market their products responsibly. The media, advertisers, retailers, as well as owners of pubs and bars should also contribute to changing attitudes and behaviours, especially among young people.
"We simply cannot afford to see so many young European lives being wasted every year because of the inappropriate use of alcohol."
The forum will be chaired by the Commission's Directorate General for Health and Consumer Protection (DG SANCO), and will establish a science group, which will provide scientific advice and guidance on matters under discussion. Already, the association has created two task forces to look at marketing communication and youth-specific aspects of alcohol.
Late last year, the EC adopted a communication setting out an EU strategy to support member states in reducing alcohol related harm. The Communication on Alcohol & Health allowed for the creation of the forum, which, the Commission said at the time, would assist member states in monitoring the implementation of the strategy.
A further stage towards enacting the long-awaited reform of European wine policy has been a review of the European Commission's proposals by the European Parliament's agriculture committee. As the par...
Alcohol harm is back at the top of the media agenda this week - is it ever away for long? The Alcohol Health Alliance, a newly-formed association of 24 leading health organisations in the UK, is c...
The European Spirits Organisation - CEPS has elected a new president for the next two years....
The European Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development has voiced her concerns over proposals to introduce warning labels on all alcoholic drinks in the region....
A product launched in the US which claims to reduce the effects of a hangover has been condemned by proponents of sensible consumption and marketing of alcohol....
Hanoi Beer, Alcohol and Beverage Corp. (Habeco) has completed the second stage of a contract which is set to raise its beer capacity in Vietnam, according to local press....
A committee of the European Parliament has come down firmly in favour of drastic changes to the European Commission's plans for reforming the EU's wine sector....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends