BELGIUM: Europe Coke Offices Raided in Probe
European Union regulators raided Coca-Cola offices in England and Belgium Thursday as part of an investigation into complaints the world's largest soft-drink maker abused a dominant market position.The raids took place at offices of Coca-Cola Enterprises, a Coke bottling unit, in Brussels and London, EU and Coke officials said. They follow similar raids last July in Coke offices in Britain, Germany, Austria and Denmark."We have fully cooperated with the officials and we remain confident that all the activities we have in the Belgian market fully comply with EU regulations," said Steve Leroy, spokesman for Coke in Belgium.Antitrust officials from Britain and Belgium also took part in the raids, Coke said.The European Commission has been seeking evidence that Coca-Cola exploits its market dominance by offering retailers rebates to promote Coke products and shut out competitors.Coke, and its Sprite and Fanta products account for about half of the soft-drink market in Europe, with PepsiCo a distant second.The EU Commission said it launched its inquiry after complaints about Coke, but did not say if they came from one of Coke's competitors or from disgruntled retailers. In a statement, the EU said it had no deadline for concluding the investigation.Under EU rules, companies found guilty of infringing regulations governing fair business competition can face fines of up to 10 percent of their turnover, although in practice fines have been much smaller.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends