BELGIUM: Euro Parliament committee opposes excise minimums
The European Parliament's economics committee has backed abolishing European Union (EU) common excise duty minimum rates.
Instead, the committee today (17 April) proposed a voluntary code of practice designed "to encourage member states with duties above the EU average to freeze and gradually lower them, and those with duties below the average to consider raising them".
EU member states have so far failed to agree last year's proposals from the European Commission to raise excise duty minimum rates because of opposition from current EU president Germany and other states.
The committee's pro-abolition line is unlikely to help the Commission. The MEPs even said a code could justify inaction. A statement said member states could take into account their economic health, enabling countries hoping to joining the Eurozone "not to increase their inflation rates by quickly raising excise duties on alcohol".
News this week that SABMiller and Molson Coors are to team up in the US beer market may have caught the industry by surprise, but the logic is compelling. As Olly Wehring reports, not only can the dea...
Alcohol consumption in the UK has dropped for the second consecutive year, according to industry figures....
Rum producers from French overseas departments (counties) have been given a 50% tax break on excise duty charged on sales within mainland France, stretching until December 2012....
Singha Corp has announced plans to add a seventh plant to its operations specifically for bottled water and carbonated beverages....
SABMiller and Molson Coors have confirmed plans to combine their US and Puerto Rico operations....
Carlsberg has launched a new high alcohol beer from its Celarevo brewery, making it the strongest beer available in the Serbian market....
Radico Khaitan has teamed up with two other Indian companies to build a new distillery in the western state of Maharashtra....
Indian conglomerate UB Group has announced a raft of key executive appointments at at its drinks subsidiaries, Whyte & Mackay, United Spirits and United Breweries, promoting long-standing employees to...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015