FRANCE: EU upholds Red Bull ban
The European Union has upheld France's right to ban Red Bull. On Friday the European Court of Justice ordered France to lift its ban on the drink unless it could prove any health risks. The court also said, however, that the French government did have a right to ban Red Bull.
French scientists claim that the levels of caffeine in the drink pose a real risk to public health if drunk to excess. France consequently refused to authorise its sale, a move which was challenged by the European Commission when manufacturers complained that it was inhibiting imports.
While other toxicology experts around Europe had concluded that the caffeine levels in Red Bull are safe, the court ruled that France had a right to ban the drink on the advice of its own experts.
One can of Red Bull contains 80mg of caffeine, the equivalent of one cup of coffee. The drink is sold in around 100 countries, with only France and Denmark having banned it. An EU ruling which comes into force later this year means that Red Bull and other energy drinks will have to carry "high caffeine content" warnings.
As in most markets, Red Bull leads the burgeoning energy drinks category in both Slovakia and the Czech Republic. But growth in the sector has attracted a number of other players. Lubomir Sedlak repor...
The functional drinks sector remains something of a niche market in Eastern Europe but there is clearly growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, assesses the state o...
Dairy, functional and premium juices were the winners, water continued to grow, whilst carbonates and squashes lagged behind in the 2004 UK soft drinks race, according to the recently published Britvi...
Flavoured vodkas have been a major success story in the US where they have prospered on the back of strong sector growth and premiumisation. With European markets also showing consistent growth and so...
Functional drinks have been a growth area of the US soft drinks market since the late-1990s. Roger Dilworth reports on the development of the sector and current brand activity....
Functional soft drinks are relatively undeveloped in Latin America in comparison with Europe but there is significant growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, examin...
AG Barr is stepping into the energy drinks sector....
Red Bull saw its pre-tax profits leap 37% in 2004 to EUR234.4m (US$280.9m), the Austrian press reported this week....
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Inver House Distillers posts FY profits leap
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research